Magento remove back to school
Many new Magento developers ask “how do I remove ‘Back to school‘ “. Some times its very frustrating for beginners.But its pretty easy to remove the back to school image from the Magento home page. Ok lets see it straight away How to remove back to school image from Magento home page. Most of the instructions are very similar to my another post.
1. In your magento store admin panel, Go to System-> Configuration and then select Design on the left side bar.
2. Check if your package is ‘default‘ or ‘somecustomethemename‘ . If its ‘default’ then go the following folder location
In case of custom theme go to the following location
3. Create layout folder if its not there
4. Create a new layout file called “local.xml” inside layout folder
and place the code below into it and save it.
<?xml version="1.0"?> <layout version="0.1.0"> <default> <reference name="right"> <block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"> <!-- <action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_right_callout.jpg</src></action> <action method="setImgAlt" translate="alt" module="catalog"><alt>Keep your eyes open for our special Back to School items and save A LOT!</alt></action> --> </block> </reference> </default> </layout>
All i have done is Commented out the <action> nodes responsible to display this image “back to school”. Please use only HTML block comments <!– –>.
5. Go To System->cache management and refresh the cache types “Layouts“
and “Block HTML output“. We ‘re done with this.
6. After refreshing just reload your page and find your “BACK TO SCHOOL”
images has been removed from the right sidebar in all your magento pages.
If you want to remove it only from the specific pages then let me know, i can update my post.
By the way, Please ignore the following approach , which is no more recommended.
(For your information, you can just click on the images in this post or any of the posts in this blog to get opened in a new tab or window and you can maximize it / zoom it. All the images used in this post or any of the posts in this blog are high resolution images so that you can get a clear picture, If there are any discrepancies let me know through your comments )
1. Go to yourStorename\app\design\frontend\base\default\layout
In this case its demostore\app\design\frontend\base\default\layout
and find the file “catalog.xml“.
2. We have to override this file by our default template. Create same directory structure what we had for catalog.xml inside base template.
Create Two folders named “template” and “layout” inside app/design/frontend/default/default
3. Copy the File “Catalog.xml” inside the layout folder what we have created inside the default folder.
4. Now open the catalog.xml file which we have copied just now inside default folder and comment out the code attached below which are inside the <reference name=”right”>.
FYI : Kindly use HTML comments <!– –>.
<action method=“setImgAlt” translate=“alt” module=“catalog”><alt>Keep your eyes open for our special Back to School items and save A LOT!</alt></action>
5. Go to Varien / Cache directory and delete the files or flush your cache from the Magento admin panel. Now refesh the browser and see the back to school image has been removed successfully from the home page.
If you have appreciations, suggestions, difficulties or discrepancies with this kindly let me know through your comments.
Catch you with another useful Magento article
You may also need this